Google Workspace, formerly known as G-Suite encompasses several useful applications including:
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
Google Drive is like a big storage locker.
Items stored in this big file are things you can access through the cloud.
The Cloud is really nothing more than a server farm.
Google Workspace is also great for backing up non-Google files as well. In fact, users get *15GB free with their accounts.
- Google Workspace Documents do not take up your Drive storage.
- If you need to find out how much storage your Drive has click here:
- If you are using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides – chances are you aren’t using any or much of your free 15 GBs of storage. Photos and videos are the files that use up the most storage.
- What’s the difference between the “Cloud” and Google Storage?
- The cloud is just a generic term for cloud storage.
Google for Business
Google for Business is a service you’ll need to pay for.
It’s good for small businesses and you’ll get a 14-day free trial when you sign up for an account.
Google for Business features include:
- More security and admin abilities.
- Collaborative content for example, shared drives, websites, surveys, and notes.
- Plans vary for the size of your business.
- Education and non-profit organizations may be eligible for free or discounted plans.
Benefits of Using Google Drive
- Easy collaboration tool.
- Multiple people can work on files at the same time.
- All Google products are connected and easy to access.
- You automatically have access one you sign up for free Google.
- Super convenient once you’ve learned how to use it.
- Can jump easily between different tasks – super convenient.
If you want to know what Google Drive looks like click here: www.drive.google.com
Best Practices Commonalities – Sharing
- Give as few people access to your document as needed.
- You can always go back into the “share” button and change access if need be.
- If you give someone “Viewer” access all they can do is read a file but not edit it.
- If you want to give someone access to add comments you then give them “Editor” status.
- If you want people to add “groceries to the list” everyone puts their stuff on the list, you can do this with the “Commentor” feature.
Saving and downloading
- If you are online and editing, your file will be automatically saved on “Drive”.
- Look at the top of the screen. It will show you the last time the document was edited.
- Any changes you make will be saved automatically.
- Google has its own fonts so text might be a little off if you import a Microsoft Word document into a Google pre-set theme. Easy to fix.
Comments on Documents
- To leave a comment on a document go to the tool bar and add a comment.
- If you highlight the text and click on the comment button and you can leave a comment specific to the highlighted text.
Google Workspace is a great tool for collaborating with your team.
Everyone uses it in their own way. Enjoy!
Elaine Allan, BA, MBA
Technology & Business Blogger