Communicate Using Photos & Videos
Snapchat was the first social media platform that allowed people to communicate using photos and videos. Originally Snapchat was developed as a photo company but was later converted into a social media platform.
Growth of Snapchat Users
Today, there are 265 million unique users every day on Snapchat. 75% of its users are 13 – 34 years of age. Snapchat continues to attract new users every day.
Snapchat for Political Campaigns & Causes
Since more than half the voting public is now Millennials and Generation Z, political operatives no longer can ignore the importance of integrating Snapchat into digital campaigns. Campaigns can upload links that viewers can click on to drive traffic to websites. As well, campaigns can set the amount of time a view can access the photo or video, from 1 to 10 seconds, or even last forever. But Snapchat etiquette is that content only lasts 5 to 7 seconds on average.
Snapchat allows you to geo-fence an event. For example, if there are a lot of young people at a concert, or a rally that you want to connect with you can geo-fence the area and start sending out advertising to a targeted audience. Advertising is cheap – half a football field of users will cost you about $5 for two hours. (Roughly the size of a mid-rise building.) Advertising all day to a substantive, targeted audience can often cost less than $100 a day. And, if anyone at the event shares your message, the reach can be incredible.
Age & Generational Profiles of Snapchat Users
- Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (23-38 years old)
- Generation Z: Born 1997-2012 (7-22 years old)
Snapchat was identified as the sixth most popular messaging app in the world in 2021. On average people who use Snapchat open the app more than 30 times per day.
From an advertising perspective, Snapchat lays out ads over the entire screen, in-between content. So, from an advertiser’s lens, it’s more impactful to take over the entire screen with an ad.
Snapchat Arrow Colours
Snapchat uses coloured arrows to indicate the status of a message being sent.
- Red arrow indicates – Snapchat sent (as a photo)
- Purple arrow indicates – Snapchat sent (as a video)
- Blue arrow indicates – Snapchat sent (as a chat message)
Read & Saved Snapchat Message
- Once the messages have been read the arrows become hollow.
- If messages have been saved the arrow has become hollow with three points around the arrow.
- Yellow Heart – best friends
- Red Heart – best friends for two weeks
- Sunglasses – you have the same best friends
- Grimacing – you share the same best friend
- Smirking – they snap you more than you snap them
- Blushing – best friends but not #1
- Fire – you are on a streak
- 100 symbol – initiated a Snapchat streak for 100 days (users try and keep the streaks going for thousands of days)
Snapchat Camera Options
Once you get going on Snapchat you’ll love all of the photo options that you are presented with. Reverse camera, flash on/off, night mode, view lenses/filters, view stories, view memories – the list goes on and on.
If you haven’t yet experimented with Snapchat I encourage you to go to the App Store, download the app and begin experimenting with your first Snapchats. Once you’ve taken a photo to send, you can add filters that can help you populate your photo with interesting content. Have fun connecting with your target audience using Snapchat!
Elaine Allan, BA, MBA
Technology & Business Blogger